Our Client's Challenges
- Operating Waterfall and Agile principles together
- Providing clarity in an uncertain environment
- Delivering to challenging timescales
i3Works' Solutions to Those Challenges
Operating Waterfall and Agile principles together.
- i3Works was able to understand the construct of the organisation including all known processes for project delivery and controls.
- This allowed the team to look at how incremental delivery of customer requirements could be best aligned through agile practices and ensured different methodologies could work together.
Providing clarity in an uncertain environment.
- In a highly regulated environment the use of agile techniques is not always seen positively.
- i3Works helped to structure the project management function and through the introduction of Scaled Agile (SAFe) practices provided clarity on deliverables in 12 weekly increments.
Delivering to challenging timescales.
- i3Works was brought in specifically to manage the project approval of a circa £100m business case
- This required the provision of a level of confidence and evidence in what the project would deliver in order to ensure approval was granted and implementation could start within a 9-month window.
Work Items & Responsibilities
Using Agile project management techniques, i3Works led the delivery of a number of key strands within the agile hosting transformation project:
- Implementation of the project controls function of the project, including scheduling, risk management, governance and change management processes
- Leaing the development of the Main Gate business case including stakeholder management, development of the appropriate content and evidence required for the business case and delivering to appropriate approval milestones
- Supporting the implementation of the Scaled Agile (SAFe) framework within the department – ensuring that project deliverables and customer requirements were aligned to 12-week program increments
- Leading the development of the economic case that identified the benefits that customers would enable through using the Defence hosting service
- Delivering all project reporting mechanisms including Portfolio Management information, Project Board packs and organisational project health reports
- Providing a centre of excellence function; upskilling of crown servants on the use of project management and agile techniques
Benefits for the Client
- Consultants with expertise in P3M including traditional waterfall and agile methodologies; experience in aligning approaches to ensure harmonious project delivery
- Experience across IT and Defence sector; ensuring the team could integrate quickly into the project environment and deliver to a high quality and standard
- Project milestones were delivered to time, cost & quality parameters; this allowed the project to be implemented to customers on time
- Enhanced governance; using appropriate controls for consistency and coherence, whilst holding people to account for delivery
How i3Works can help your organisation
i3Works has a rich seam of P3M and business change expertise. We have delivered PMOs, led £billion mega projects and led programmes of up to 130 projects. We understand the need to ground P3M solutions in the practical reality of business; ensuring alignment with strategic intent whilst also championing a lean, pragmatic implementation of P3M methodologies. Our team are seasoned practitioners, including Registered Project Professionals, Chartered Engineers and underpinned by a wide range of P3M professional qualifications.
We have a passion for what we do and firmly believe in the value that a PMO can deliver. But we also appreciate that the industry is littered with process heavy, mechanistic PMO implementations that lose sight of their strategic purpose. By maintaining focus on the problems statements that the PMO is there to resolve, the PMO becomes an enabler for effective strategic and tactical decision making.
For further information on how i3Works is able to support you in delivering business value, please contact us:
Return to Case Study Homepage