Our Client's Challenge:
- Our client was about to go live with a new Programme and Project Management framework that would fundamentally change the way the business would deliver projects across an organisation of 2500 staff.
- With 4 weeks until go live the organisation had only a theoretical understanding of the framework and fundamental missing parts to the processes and procedures required to operate through it.
- With repeated bad press of the framework across the senior stakeholder group our client required a company that could come in and hit the ground running to address the gaps and culture change needed to embed the change.
i3Works consultants quickly embedded themselves into the organisation to understand the issues faced; this started with engagement and interviews across various stakeholder groups including the leadership team, process managers and business champions within the different business departments as well as previous consultant groups. The approach allowed i3Work consultants to understand what needed to change.
In order to fully understand the way the business operated and the fundamental problems faced with the launch of the new framework, i3Works consultants conducted a deep dive review and gap analysis of the existing process and produced a clear action plan on how to address the gaps. This review was then tested with process leads to ensure the gaps were accurate, well understood and that the business bought into the way to address the issues.
Due to the tight timescales faced by the client before go live of the framework, i3Work consultants worked with the business to prioritise what would make the biggest difference in the shortest space of time and set about building an agile recovery programme of work that would help shift the culture and deliver results quickly. This included;
- Onboarding the right team for the job - i3Works consultants built a team of business leads who would help be the face of the framework for the business, supported by consultants who would help drive the change forward together with the client.
- Engagement with teams using the framework - supporting teams during initial use of the framework, i3Work consultants built an engagement programme to help break down the barriers of bad feeling, introducing quick wins and reporting issues identified for quick resolution.
- A suite of simple tools to help the business understand the framework - using the i3Works approach to developing a Body of Knowledge for clients, the team built simple and practical tools that would help to guide the business through the framework in a step by step manner, providing easy access to the processes, procedures and other documentation.
- Working with the business areas to address gaps - Using the gap analysis, i3Works consultants ran business workshops with leads and stakeholders across the business to address the missing steps and documentation in the framework and ensure that a culture of continuous improvement was developed.
- A clear communication approach - With a need to provide a more substance based and simple communication approach to help launch the framework, i3Works consultants worked with the client to develop simple messages and a range of media to support the roll out and adoption of the framework.
The Overall Outcome:
Using exceptional stakeholder management i3Works were quickly able to establish trust with the client to highlight the areas of improvements needed and then worked closely with the client to address the issues. As a result the client was able to see a fast turn around with the organisation's perception and use of the framework.
i3Works supported the project teams to adopt the use of the framework to help bring a more efficient and consistent approach to project delivery across the business.
i3Works were then able to communicate these benefits across the organisation through a co-ordinated series of campaigns and engagement with the senior leadership teams.
Overall the client was able to see the significant improvements that i3Works delivered to the project and provided really positive feedback to the i3Works management team.
How i3Works can help your organisation
i3Works has a rich seam of P3M and business change expertise. We have delivered PMOs, led £billion mega projects and led programmes of up to 130 projects. We understand the need to ground P3M solutions in the practical reality of business; ensuring alignment with strategic intent whilst also championing a lean, pragmatic implementation of P3M methodologies. Our team are seasoned practitioners, including Registered Project Professionals, Chartered Engineers and underpinned by a wide range of P3M professional qualifications.
We have a passion for what we do and firmly believe in the value that a PMO can deliver. But we also appreciate that the industry is littered with process heavy, mechanistic PMO implementations that lose sight of their strategic purpose. By maintaining focus on the problems statements that the PMO is there to resolve, the PMO becomes an enabler for effective strategic and tactical decision making.
For further information on how i3Works is able to support you in delivering business value, please contact us:
Return to Case Study Homepage