Our Client’s Challenges
- There was a major issue with the progression of the technical team and the information that was being passed to the programme manager. Before i3Works were brought into this programme, the technical team were slipping week by week with no mitigating actions to bring them back on track.
- There was poor or no communication to the programme manager or between the individual work streams. With the lack of communication, the programme was slipping and the programme manager was unaware of the reasons why.
- On one hand there was an existing poor plan and schedule and on the other hand the programme did not follow it.
- There was a lack stakeholder engagement and due to it, key stakeholders held false views of the programme and were constantly delaying progress by asking for additional information.
i3Works' Solutions to Those Challenges
Continuous Delays on the Work Progress of the Technical Team.
By attending weekly meetings and capturing what was really happening with the technical work stream, i3Works were able to ask the right questions in order for the technical lead to start thinking about what could be the cause of the problem and how they were able to resolve the issue. We were then able to relay the thinking back to the programme manager with recommended solutions on resolving the issues such as a key resource dependency that was impacting upon Critical Path delivery.
Lack of Communication.
i3Works ensured that the work streams were communicating to the programme manager through weekly meetings and informed weekly RAIDO and schedule updates that were captured and escalated as necessary. We also ensured that there were communications taking place independently between work streams to ensure all dependencies were captured and confusion was reduced.
Programme Plan Inefficiency.
i3Works took charge of the schedule and worked to revalidate and re-baseline so that the Programme could track progress, understand it’s critical path and conduct what-if scenario modelling.
This schedule formed a key part of the Business Case for Initial Gate, informing the cost modelling (requiring to pass scrutiny from external Cost Assurance) and linking with risks to get P10, P50 and P90 dates via Schedule Risk Analysis.
Lack of Stakeholder Engagement.
Our ability to control the Programme gave the programme manager the confidence and time to increase his stakeholder management activity and get them onside with clear and consistent data provided by i3Works.
Work Items & Responsibilities
During the contract with our client, i3Works excelled in the delivery of the following items:
- Developed P3M processes and procedures (including risk, issues and dependency analysis, programme plans, reporting and dashboards)
- Ensured governance of the programme
- Created a Wall of Truth (a visualisation of the EPM programme plan)
- Effective programme planning (up to the year 2021), being able to report from the plan and show resourcing issues
- Schedule, RAIDO and Resource management
- Stakeholder management activities
- Facilitation of a number of Lessons Learned reviews with the client in order to leave them with recommendations for the programme as it moves in to its next stage of development (the next business gate).
How i3Works can help your organisation
i3Works has a rich seam of P3M and business change expertise. We have delivered PMOs, led £billion mega projects and led programmes of up to 130 projects. We understand the need to ground P3M solutions in the practical reality of business; ensuring alignment with strategic intent whilst also championing a lean, pragmatic implementation of P3M methodologies. Our team are seasoned practitioners, including Registered Project Professionals, Chartered Engineers and underpinned by a wide range of P3M professional qualifications.
We have a passion for what we do and firmly believe in the value that a PMO can deliver. But we also appreciate that the industry is littered with process heavy, mechanistic PMO implementations that lose sight of their strategic purpose. By maintaining focus on the problems statements that the PMO is there to resolve, the PMO becomes an enabler for effective strategic and tactical decision making.
For further information on how i3Works is able to support you in delivering business value, please contact us:
Return to Case Study Homepage